Wednesday, January 19, 2005

My girlfriend's socks have broken my brain

You know how socks go, right? One big tube of fabric, like a mitten for your feet? Well yesterday my girlfriend went out and came home with the reality bending socks from another dimension. Its not that they're large and striped that bother me, its that they have individual toes. Like gloves. Five little piggy pockets on each one. And now, whenever I look at her feet and I see socks. Socks mean foot mittens.
But then I see toes.
Nothing in my life experiences can account for 'socks' and 'toes' in one image and my brain literally does a double take.

"Scuse me, Jeff. Its your brain here. Listen, I know your tired, and I know its late, but we just want you to check something out. Your girlfriend. She's wearing socks, right? Okay. That's what we thought. Now, listen carefully: Can you see individual toes? Yes? Jeez. Umm... listen... we don't have anything on file about this... and we think it defies some kind of law of nature. We'll get back to you as soon as we can figure something out."

I find that lately my brain hasn't been working properly, crazy socks or no.
I find I'm having a very hard time thinking of anything creative. Like right now I'm really struggling to figure out how to put all of this into words. I never had this problem before, I used to be able to do all kinds of things. Example: Over on my bookshelf is a ten page comic I drew almost two years ago. It is very simple, each page has 10 mini-comics in it, and they're all badly drawn- just a step up from stick people. The point, however, is that the story is great. Each comic still makes me laugh or smile and for the life of me I can't figure out how I was so cool back then. I tried duplicating this comic thing last night, but to no avail. I drew the panels, drew one pointless character and then.... nothing. No ideas, no inspiration, no hilarity to ensue. And its really starting to bother me. I'm part of an art-challenge group over on deviant art, and for the first challenge we have to make a one page comic about a Ninja that REALLY likes ice cream. I'm given the damn premise, and I still can't think of what to do. All I can manage is to draw a page of ninjas and write 'ice cream' every once and a while.

Maybe its stress. Its probably stress. I'm really stressed out most of the time. Arg. And depressed. And the fact that I cannot create is making me more stressed and depressed.

Hey! That rhymed!
I'm a poet, and I didn't know I was one!
Even.
At all.

Bah.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

-Jeff, Oddly Uncreative Pirate


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home